02 December, 2008

Wing Skins and Pitot Tube

4 Hours

Well I didn’t post last night but I got a few hours in over the last 2 nights. I counter sunk/dimple/nutplated the bottom skins to accept the pitot tube and access plate. This was the first nut plates that I have had to drill and install.


Nutplates from the top view (and a knee)


Nutplates from the bottom


Nutplates installed on the pitot mast

I have a guide for #8 nutplates but not for #6 as I was using. That meant that I used the nutplate itself as a guide. I don’t like the idea of using different sizes all over the plane but the wing access panels already use #6 and I wanted to stay as small as I could when drilling through the spar.


The cutaway in the wing skin look worst in this picture but I am very happy as tight as the fit really is.


I think this is a clean install and it even looks straight (with a refection of me too)... must be living right =)

I think everything looks pretty tight and it’s nice and smooth and now I can remove the pitot tube if I have too. Now I just need to drill the holes for the actual pitot tube and run the tube from the inboard rib to the mast then that part is done. It sometimes feels like I am moving slow but it is nice when I see that I am moving!

Oh and they are saying that we might have a bit of snow and have a late work day or even a “snow day” so keep your fingers crossed because I would love to work on the plane instead of going to work (at least on a poopy flying day)

No comments: