30 November, 2008

Pitot tube and Riveting

6 hours

Ok so I spent a lot of time in the garage today but didn’t feel as productive because of the amount of time I spent thinking about how to do things. I guess that’s part of the build but it’s not as rewarding as driving rivets. Speaking of driving rivets…


I did rivet the aft side and bottom skin to F-712 (the last bulk head) today! It is really nice to see things go together and also to know that I won’t be taking them apart any more =)


I love it when a PLANE comes together ;)


I clecoed the bottom skins on so that I could see how they fix and well the fit! I did notice that I need to sand down the lapping edge to make it a little smother but it is on the bottom so not as visible as the top but every ounce of aluminum I remove the better!

I also spent considerable time trying to figure out how I was going to mount the pitot tube but I made a decision and well now there is a hole in my pretty bottom skin. The plans call for a bent piece of ¼” aluminum tube but I wanted a heated pitot tube so I needed to get that and figure out how to mount it.


I looked at a few different peoples planes online and went against how the mounting tube people said to do it. They wanted me to rivet the mast to the wing, I wanted it to be removable… So it’s now removable =) I just didn’t want that thing sticking out in the wind for the next 2 years as I am working on it, don’t know it I will ever need to remove it again but hey at least I can.

Ok well this Turkey day holiday did allow me to get a bit done, would always have liked to get more done but I am happy with the forward progress. Only 10 more building days (ok any kind of days really) till I ship out again so I hope to get some more stuff done, maybe the flap motor next…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

“I guess that’s part of the build but it’s not as rewarding as driving rivets.” – Hahaha! I’m glad that there is someone who finds driving and pounding rivets enjoyable. And I think you did an awesome job with it. Your work looks clean and accurate. Riveting entails precision, which is why this job should be done carefully.

Best,
Jeanette