12 May, 2008

Fuse – Seat Backs

1 May

So I am not the best about updating this when things happen but I will try and be better though I would rather spend the extra hour on the plane then this silly thing. But this is what I have been up to.

My Dad, Eric and me went to Harbor Freight and got some more tools that we could bring home and then throw into the trash can. Sometimes I really wonder why I keep buying things there, but today I got one that I really like, so far… It’s a 6” chop saw that’s uses a cut off wheel and works great on chopping aluminum stock; angle, tube, and hinge or whatever. We also when to Sears and got a belt sander, and boy do I love it. I know tools are important but it’s amazing every time you get a new tool and you wonder how you lived without it.


Sander in action

When we got back Eric and my dad worked on the seat backs as I worked on attaching the ailerons.

The seats are not pre punched at all, so a lot of measuring and marking then drilling was necessary. This doesn’t normally take me too long but with 2 Aerospace engineers on the job site with a micrometer in hand things moved a little slower =) But I will tell you that there is not one rivet more than 0.00000001” off from where it should be!

The backs



Looking Good



Yep parts are primed

I was not so successful as I quickly needed a reamer. I decided that if I was drilling the hinge eye for the hinge pin that I should use the right tool and that a drill bit was ok, but a reamer was better so I ordered one online and will wait for that to come in.

Now I decided to work on the control tubes. I got to use my new pneumatic pop riveter and let me tell you it was well worth the $35 at Harbor Freight. It is a one hand operation and you can make sure that there is pressure on the material and that it’s all lined up just like you want it to be.



This little device helped drill the holes straight on the round tube



6 Rivets in each end, how to do this...


I'll use my new pneumatic pop riveter =)

No comments: