12 May, 2008

Now I am broke

I did it I ordered an Engine/Propeller combo from Vans. I have been looking at engines for a long time now and in all honestly just got tired of thinking about it. I would have loved to put a piston diesel engine in the plane like the one that DeltaHawk is developing but nothing is ready and I don’t see anything being ready for the masses anytime soon.

So What did I get, well I guess I am a sucker for specials but Vans ran a special for Sun n Fun this year that made me look twice, well even buy the silly thing. I got a Lycoming Experimental IO-360 A-1-B6 200HP engine with Unison LASAR ignition. I decided to take advantage of the $1000 saving if you get the prop at the same time so I went with a Hartzell Blended airfoil prop, that was the easy decision.


I was not even going to consider getting a 200HP because the price on these things are just out to lunch, I mean spending 40-50% more for only 10-15% more power just does not make any type of economic sense. But that is where Vans special made me think about it. They dropped the price on all the experimental engines, but they SIGNIFICANTLY dropped the price on the 200HP, maybe because no one was willing to spend the money for it. Well after the large price drop I said yes and closed my eyes as I sent in the order, but hey now I don’t have to worry about it anymore.

So when I get back from my summer home, wink wink, I will have a new engine in the garage waiting for me.

Just wanted to share my excitement with you all.

No comments: